MELT IN YOUR MOUTH CHOCOLATE COFFEE CAKE
birthday cake ideasby Nikki(Indianapolis, IN, US)
Awhile ago, I was given a marvelous recipe from a very dear friend of mine to try. She had never made it, but as soon as I saw the picture and the title, I knew it was something that I had to have.
I am a chocolate lover to the extreme, so I thought I'd try it. I just could not resist the temptation of the "Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate, Coffee Cake." I wanted it to be made for my very own birthday.
Unfortunately, no one in my house is old enough to bake, and the one that is (my husband) has no clue how to make anything. I made it myself.
- First, brew some coffee and let it reach room temperature.
- Then, take 1 1/3 cup of brewed coffee, and add it to one package of devil's food or chocolate cake mix, as well as a 1/2 cup of vegetable oil, 3 eggs, and 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips. Mix all of those ingredients together by beating them on low for 30 seconds, and then on high for 2 minutes.
- While you are preparing the cake mix though, turn the oven on to 350 to give it time to heat up. Next, pour the cake mixture into two greased and floured 8' baking pans and bake for 30-35 minutes. Let it cool for 5 minutes, and then set on cooling rack. Immediately start the very next step.
- Sprinkle each cake with 1/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips, and once they have melted, spread the chocolate and place in the refrigerator to chill.
- While it is chilling, start making the frosting. Cream a 1/2 cup of butter (softened), 1/2 cup of shortening, and 4 cups of powdered sugar in a mixing bowl.
- When that is finished, add 3/4 cup of baking cocoa and 1/4 tsp. of almond extract and beat the ingredients together.
- Next, add 5 tablespoons of coffee at a time, but only one tablespoon at a time, and beat until light and fluffy.
- When the cake is finally chilled, spread this frosting between the layers and all over the top and sides of the cake.
- Finally, the final step has arrived.
- Melt 1/2 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and the remainder of the coffee in a sauce pan and stir until smooth. Pour over the cake allowing it to spread evenly over the top and drizzle down the sides.
- Then sink your teeth into this amazingly, melt in your mouth chocolate, chocolate, chocolate coffee cake.