Blues Clues Birthday Cake
If you have a preschooler, chances are you also have a Blues Clues fan. This year, why not delight your little adventurer with a Blues Clues birthday cake? Making your own from scratch using baking pans already on hand is simpler than you may think.
- To begin, bake your child's favorite cake flavor in a 9 x 13 rectangular pan according to directions. Cool, then run a knife around the edges and turn cake out onto a piece of aluminum foil lined cardboard, and then freeze for a few hours so that it's easier to work with.
- Cut out a Blues Clues template and lay it atop the cake, holding it in place with toothpicks. Use the tip of a sharp knife to cut out the cake around the template, removing scraps carefully so the cake doesn't tear.
- Arrange the cake pieces on a tinfoil-covered cutting board or work surface, using the tip of a sharp knife to add dimension by cutting away the mouth and nose detail.
- Mix blue food coloring with white icing until you get the right shade of blue, and ice the sides of your cake first. (Tip: If you find that you're picking up a lot of crumbs, add 1 to 2 TB of corn syrup to the icing.) Keep your icing knife clean, or switch knives if it gets too crumby.
- Add Blue's spots using darker blue icing or blue sprinkles, then finish with pressed icing or non-edible googly eyes.
If you're really feeling adventurous, whip up a matching Magenta cake and pair it with a set of loaf pan Mr. Salt and Mrs. Pepper cakes. Enjoy making this Blues Clues cake for the special clue searcher in your life!